Frequently Asked Questions
Why do you call yourself The Good Fat Company?
Fats are one of the three main macronutrients, along with carbohydrates and proteins. And our products help you incorporate good fats into your diet. Why? Because it is so good for you!
- Good for cardiovascular health
Most of the fat in nuts is unsaturated, which is better for you than the saturated fat in meat or the trans fats in many processed foods. It can help stabilise your blood sugar and insulin, the hormone that regulates it.
- Good for diabetes prevention and control
As nuts are high in protein and fiber, they help to control weight gain, as well as high levels of sugar (glucose) and fats (lipids) in your blood, which can lead to the disease. This keeps the lining of your blood vessels (endothelium) stretchy and healthy, which prevents high blood pressure.
- Good source of plant-based protein and nutrients
Nuts and seeds have plenty of other nutrients like Vitamins E and B6, folic acid, niacin, magnesium, zinc, copper, and potassium. Without any artificial additives or added oil, it is a nutrition powerhouse that packs a serious punch.
- Good immunity system booster
Nuts and seeds are loaded with antioxidants, including minerals like selenium and manganese, vitamins C and E, as well as flavonoids, phenols, and polyphenols. They work as a team to help protect your cells from free radical damage.
How should I store my nut and seed butters?
Keeping the lids closed properly and storing the jar in a cool, dry and dark place are the best ways to make sure they are safe to eat almost indefinitely. Remember that oxygen (which makes food stale) and heat (which accelerates oil separation) are the enemies.
Should I keep it in the fridge?
Refrigeration makes our nut and seed butters last even longer, but it is not necessary unless you feel that you will not be able to finish consuming an opened jar within 3 months. It is not harmful to eat after their best before dates but do keep in mind that they will be past their prime in terms of flavour and freshness.
Why is there oil at the top of my jar?
We don’t use any palm oil, hydrogenated oils, or any other added oils or artificial additives, so if you eat our nut and seed butters infrequently, you will notice natural oil separation over time. This is completely normal, so don’t be alarmed! Just give it a good stir to the bottom until you achieve a consistent texture and enjoy.
Why are some jars less full than others? Why are some butters runny?
Every nut and seed butter has a different density due to varying nutritional content. This results in different mass and texture of the nut/seed butter as well, which is why 200grams of hazelnut butter looks less than 200grams of peanut butter. Each of these natural butters also have individual consistencies, partially due to more or less oil content and separation. Just give it a good stir to the bottom of the jar before using.
Why do you roast your nuts? Doesn’t the heat destroy their nutrients?
It’s best to soak, sprout, or cook nuts before you eat them, in order to increase the bioavailability of their nutrients, i.e. to make them easier to digest and absorb the nutrition they contain.
We choose to slow roast our nuts and seeds because:
- It makes them taste more delicious thanks to the Maillard reaction (a chemical reaction between proteins and sugars like caramelisation that gives a distinctive flavour)
- The low temperature heat destroys any harmful microbes such as Salmonella, thus increasing the food safety standard of our nut and seed butters
What is different about stone-ground nut and seed butters?
Stone grinding is a slow, massaging, cold process that releases the natural oils of nuts/seeds and distributes them uniformly throughout, creating a wonderfully smooth and creamy finish while retaining essential fatty acids, enzymes, vitamins and minerals. It effectively breaks down the nuts and seeds into tiny particles at low temperatures, allowing its complete nutritional value to be preserved and digested when consumed.
Why are your nut and seed butters more expensive than other “natural” brands?
Great question! While it is impossible to match prices with every other “natural” brand in the market, here are some of our reasons:
- Artisanal quality — While commercial “natural” nut butter brands use factories and steel mills for production, we have a dedicated team of experienced professionals handling our manufacturing and distribution. Each small batch is handcrafted, stone-ground to perfection, to ensure you get a wholesome product.
- Ingredient integrity — All our ingredients are carefully sourced based on our strict standards for taste, sustainability, and the fair and ethical treatment of those involved with producing it (farming and processing). We only use GMO-free produce, without any added oils or artificial additives.
- Environment sustainability — Our product labels and packaging are made using only Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) approved paper sources, and we use only environmental-friendly cleaning products. Our nut and seed butters are also packed in recyclable and reusable glass jars.
What does the FSC logo on your label mean?
The Forest Stewardship Council (FSC) logo represents a guarantee our labels and packaging come from responsible sources that support forest conservation and enable the market to provide an incentive for better forest management.
Are your products GMO-free?
Yes, all of our ingredients are non-GMO.
Can I pick up my order?
Currently, we do not have a storefront to facilitate pick-up orders. However, for large orders of a carton (12 jars) or more, we can make special arrangements. Drop us a note at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Can I return your empty glass jars to you?
Unfortunately, we are not equipped at this time to receive, sterilise, and reuse our jars. Stay tuned - we will definitely announce any recycling initiatives in future. Meanwhile, feel free to upcycle our durable jars at home as a handy multipurpose storage container, spice jar, stationary or candle holder, miniature plant pot… the creative possibilities are endless! Our jars are also 100% recyclable.